Source: EU Portal
A new Sandbox has begun. This time, we kindly ask you to test a brand-new functionality—Field Modification. This system enables you to tweak the parameters of your favorite vehicles to better tune them to your personal playstyle, offering several quality-of-life improvements.
If you would like to participate, download the Sandbox test server client and begin experimenting with the new system. We need your feedback for the test to be a success. But before you jump in, we would like to clarify several details and answer some of your frequently asked questions.
Join the FAQ Stream
Tune in on June 15 at 15:00 CEST to 18:00 CEST (UTC+2)
Watch as David ‘eekeeboo’ Baggley and Lucas Bourguignon, Publishing Product Manager for Field Modification in Europe, discuss the latest additions and proposed changes. We’ll answer all your burning questions and talk you through everything you need to know about Field Modifications on this English-only stream. Tune in on Twitch or YouTube on June 15 via the links below.
Field Modification System
1. Should I max out the Field Modification level now before researching vehicles of a higher tier in the Tech Tree?
The choice is always yours. However,climbing the Tech Tree is intended to remain a priority because it gives access to new vehicles, i.e. new gameplay experiences, a new level of impact in battle, and new mechanics. Once you’ve found the vehicles that you enjoy playing and have mastered them, that would be the time to look into their Field Modification.
2. Is Field Modification mandatory for every vehicle I own?
Again, it’s entirely up to you. While Field Modification does provide some flat bonuses to a vehicle’s parameters from base modifications, those bonuses are minor. Any gameplay mistake in an actual battle will have a much higher impact on the battle outcome than a 1% increase in some parameter.
Most of the value of Field Modification comes from Dual Modifications which increase one parameter at the cost of lowering another. Their value is in increasing the parameters you personally need, based on your playstyle, at the cost of those you are ready to sacrifice. Field Modification is about fine-tuning a vehicle to the way you play it, and that comes at a cost. So, it obviously should not be viewed as an essential component of every vehicle you own.
3. What are the special missions and Tokens? How do I earn rewards for participating in the Sandbox test?
Taking part and receiving rewards is simple. During the test, you will have access to a chain of simple daily missions for Tier VI–X vehicles. Each mission is straightforward—play 2 battles in a specific vehicle type and get into the top 12 players on your team by XP earned. Completing each mission will reward you with 5 Tokens. Complete 4 missions out of 5 to unlock the final mission and earn 20 Tokens.
Once you complete the first chain, the second one becomes available on the next day. The missions are the same—play 2 battles in a specific vehicle type while getting into the top 12 players on your team by XP earned. Once 2 such missions are complete, you will earn 20 more Tokens. Completion of the remaining missions is optional, but note that each will net additional Tokens.
Shortly after the Sandbox testing is over, the Tokens will be transferred to the main server and players will be able to spend them in a dedicated part of the in-game Store for rewards.
4. Where can I find the Field Modification for a vehicle?
The Field Modification screen can be accessed right from the Garage—the entry point will be at the top right corner of the screen, just above the vehicle’s parameters section. Alternatively, the feature can be accessed from the Tech Tree interface used to research modules of a specific vehicle. Note that only Elite vehicles, i.e. those will all modules and higher-tier vehicles researched, will have access to Field Modification.
5. Is Field Modification available to all vehicle types?
Field Modification is available to all Tier VI–X vehicles (including Collector’s, special, and Premium vehicles) except rented vehicles once they have achieved Elite status.Elite status means that all modules of that vehicle, plus all vehicles of the higher tier, are researched.
6. What currencies does the system require? Can I benefit from gold or bonds?
Field Modification only uses the two most common types of currencies in our game—XP and credits. You can use either Combat XP or Free XP to increase levels of a vehicle’s Field Modification, and credits to purchase Dual Modifications and assign/reassign a category for the second equipment slot.
7. If I switch to a different modification, is the previous Dual Modification stored somewhere? Can I switch back to it?
A purchased Dual Modification is destroyed once you cancel it. Unlike equipment or consumables, it is not stored in the Depot. If later you decide that you want it activated again, you will have to pay credits for it.
8. Will the cost of modifications in XP and credits be the same for vehicles of all tiers?
We currently aim to have different costs for vehicles of different tiers. For lower tier vehicles, the costs of modifications in XP and credits will be lower. However, note that the costs on the current Sandbox server are provisional and very likely to change upon release.
9. How do % values in the system work?
The percentages in the system are taken from the base values of a vehicle’s parameters, before any effects from crew, consumables, or equipment are applied. They are then added to or deducted from the total values of the affected parameters. There is no multiplication of coefficients in the system.
10. What are Standard Modifications exactly? I don’t see them in the Field Modification screen.
Standard Modifications are automatically performed on the vehicle at levels II, IV, V, VII, and VIII of Field Modification. They provide a small bonus to one of its key parameters, depending on the vehicle type and role, and are always in effect. Standard Modifications at higher levels of the system usually grant slightly higher bonuses. They can be viewed as a reward for achieving new levels of Field Modification.
11. For Dual Modifications, selecting one always comes at a cost. Is this choice mandatory?
The main purpose of Dual Modification is to enable the player to redistribute vehicle parameters in such a way that they improve the ones that they prefer, based on the way they play in the vehicle, while giving up some of the parameters that are less important for them.
Moreover, when making a decision regarding a specific Dual Modification, the cumulative effect of all prior and subsequent modifications, crew, equipment, and consumables should be taken into account. That penalty you are concerned about may well be offset by another component of the vehicle’s loadout.
And remember that selecting neither of the two is also a perfectly fine choice. It does not lock you out from higher levels of Field Modification.
12. What limitations exactly are there for setting a category for the second equipment slot?
You can select two categories (out of a total of four) for the second slot:
- You cannot set the same category as the first equipment slot of your vehicle (i.e. for a tank destroyer, you cannot set Firepower for the second slot because your vehicle already has it in its first slot.
- You cannot select a category that is in direct opposition to the role that your vehicle type performs on the battlefield.
|Vehicle type||Default category||Opposite category||Available categories for 2nd slot|
|Light tank||Recon||Survivability||Firepower / Mobility|
|Medium tank||Mobility||Firepower||Survivability / Recon|
|Heavy tank||Survivability||Recon||Firepower / Mobility|
|Tank destroyer||Firepower||Mobility||Survivability / Recon|
|SPG||Firepower||Mobility||Survivability / Recon|
13. When can I switch between main and alternate configurations of equipment or consumables? (Auxiliary and Essentials Loadouts)
During the 30-second countdown before the battle starts. Once the battle starts, switching between loadouts is no longer possible.
14. For the Assault MT role, does the –50% to penalty from a damaged engine and ammo rack apply to the probability of a fire/ammo rack explosion?
No, it does not. It reduces the acceleration / top speed penalty for the damaged engine and reload speed penalty for the ammo rack.
15. For the Support MT role, does the –5% bonus to gun reload time apply to the magazine reload or the intra-clip reload? Or both?
It only applies to the reload time between magazines.
16. Will there be different roles for vehicles within the same line, for example, the Charioteer and the FV 4005?
We currently have no such plans.
17. Why do some turretless vehicles have a turret traverse speed increase in dual modifications? Isn’t it useless for them?
Not, it actually isn’t. It improves the speed of the gun traverse within the horizontal aiming arc of a vehicle.
1. How do I participate?
Follow these 4 simple steps:
- Download the Sandbox launcher.
- Install the Sandbox client by launching the downloaded file. If you’re running the Game Center for the first time, you’ll have to authorize and restart the downloaded installation file.
- Wait until the Sandbox client is downloaded and installed.
- Open the World of Tanks tab, select World of Tanks Sandbox, and click Play.
2. You say Field Modification is for my favorite vehicles mostly. Will I have to research those vehicles on the Sandbox before I can play with Field Modification for them?
No, if you played World of Tanks before May 18, 2021, the Sandbox server will have a copy of your account as of that date. It means that if a vehicle was in your Garage by that time, you will have it readily available on the Sandbox, together with its crew and equipment loadout. This way, we ensure you spend your time on the actual testing instead of trying to reproduce vehicle configurations from your live account.
3. Will I have enough resources to experiment with the new system on the Sandbox server?
Don’t worry—we’ve got you covered. Each player who logs into the Sandbox server will receive the following amounts of resources for the Sandbox:
- 200,000 bonds
- 100,000,000 Free XP
- 7 days of WoT Premium Account
That should be more than enough to cover all your testing needs.
5. When and where will I receive the survey?
The survey will appear in the main game client. Some of the players who have fought a certain number of battles will receive the survey during the testing phase. All other players who have fought more than five battles will receive the survey in the final days of the test. If you don’t receive the survey right away, please be patient. To make the technical load lighter, we’ll send the survey out in batches.
6. Can I complete the survey later?
If you do not wish to complete the survey as soon as it appears, you can close it and then re-open it later from the Notification Center in the game client. Please note that no answers are saved if the survey is closed, so if you close it after answering some of the questions, you will have to answer them again. If you close the game client before re-opening the survey, the survey will no longer be available.
- Multiple issues related to upgrading and demounting Bounty Equipment in main or alternate configurations. To avoid those, we recommend upgrading Bounty Equipment before mounting it on your vehicle.
- If the same directive is selected for both loadouts, a second system notification about purchase of that directive is displayed.
- If the player enters a battle in the CS-63, a Tier X Polish medium tank, and begins the battle in the speed mode, the size of the aiming circle is much smaller than after any subsequent activation of the rapid speed mode in that battle.
- The vehicle sale window does not contain all the relevant information about the sale of a vehicle with researched Field Modernization.
If you have any questions that have not been answered here, please head over to our forum where our community team will be happy to assist.
3 thoughts on “Field Modification: FAQ and Live Stream”
I’ll wait until QB explains it.
Never gonna watch that eekeboo twitching twitch test urghhh
Nice. I finally can chase and ram EBRs wth Maus….
Nah the reality will be Obj. 430 U / Obj. 140 can ram Maus dealing more dmg than received.
Physics doesn’t matter, soviet bias dominates the universe…
WG: we can’t fix problem, what should we do? Yes, let’s introduce new trash so that our player base concentrate on those. See? Crew 2.0 trash nearly gets us half way through 2021. Now let’s introduce another trash, so that WOT can survive until 2022 without them knowing that we aren’t trying to fix anything at all.
If you need a Manual to play, it better is DND