Source: EU Portal
To commemorate the final weeks leading up to the end of World War II in Europe, World of Tanks is hosting a new PvE game mode: Road to Berlin.
Like in the Homefront event we launched last summer, you will battle in teams of five against armies of AI-driven enemy tanks. But this time, the tables have turned and you’ll need to conquer the enemy territory while repelling fierce counterattacks. Get ready to go on the offensive, face smart and dangerous enemies, and earn a unique Tier VII Premium Soviet heavy tank, Bounty Equipment, and other rewards!
Road to Berlin
May 4, 08:00 UTC through May 18, 08:00 UTC
Battles take place in teams of five, on four maps specially redesigned for this mode, including a new special Berlin map (more on them below). You can join one of five Units (three Units of Soviet tanks, one Unit of American tanks, and one Unit of British tanks), each consisting of three middle-tier vehicles of the same type:
- The Winged Spearhead
- The Beast Slayers
- The Ironsides
- The 1st Tank Battalion
- The 48th Breakthrough Regiment
Each Unit has its own unique symbol, Combat Boosts, and three gradually unlocking vehicles. Choose your Unit and click “Battle” to start a game. You can play side by side with random allies or in a Platoon of up to five.
Instead of repelling the attacks of AI-driven enemies, it’s now time for you to go on the offensive and make rapid attacking maneuvers, conquering special zones on the enemy territory. Each battle has 5 sequential objectives, or Battle Missions:
- Capture zone A.
- Defend zone A.
- Capture zone B.
- Defend zone B and break through the enemy defense.
- Destroy powerful enemy commanders in the ultimate fray. During this final Battle Mission, you will encounter other enemies you can fight, but your main goal is to defeat the commanders at all costs.
After looking through your feedback on the Homefront event, we have improved the AI-driven enemy models. This year, the PvE mode will feature smarter and more dangerous adversaries, so get ready for intense battles!
You may have to wait a bit longer on the day the event starts. If the waiting time to enter battle is too long, feel free to complete special missions in Random Battles and earn Orders x15 as a reward, which will help you fight your enemies with maximum efficiency once the waiting time decreases and you enter the mode.
Road to Berlin launches along with additional missions that are available only on May 4. You can complete these missions in vehicles Tier VII or higher in Random Battles (including Grand Battles). In total, 10 missions will be available, each one providing 30,000 credits. To get the reward, you must be one of the top 10 XP earners on your team in a battle. Play, farm, and stock up on credits while you wait!
At the start of every game, your vehicle has three play-turns, or respawns. When your vehicle is destroyed, you will respawn only if you have respawns left.
You can earn up to 2 additional respawns by completing Battle Missions. If your vehicle was destroyed, but your allies were able to repel the enemy attacks and defend zones, you will still get your extra respawns. So even if you have lost all three respawns, stay in the battle—it is possible that you will respawn again and help your team win!
The level of your Unit increases from I to III, depending on your effectiveness in battles. As you boost your Unit Level, you will be able to choose from more powerful vehicles with better performance characteristics. Each Unit has 3 tanks, which means 15 tanks are available in all. Accordingly, the AI-driven enemies you face will become more dangerous.
You don’t earn credits in this mode. Instead, you get two types of Progression Points as you damage and destroy enemies:
- Unit Experience to boost your Unit Level
- Victory Points to get rewards (more on them below)
The higher the level of your Unit, the more Progression Points you earn in battles.
Want to speed up your progress and earn more Progression Points to reap rewards faster? Use “Assault!” Orders—special boosters that multiply Unit Experience and Victory Points earned in battles. There are 3 types of “Assault!” Orders, each with its own multiplying coefficient: x5, x10, and x15. They are activated before you start the battle.
Each Unit gets one Order x5 at the start of each game day. In addition, you can:
- purchase Orders x10 for gold in the game client or get them as a part of special bundles.
- obtain Orders x15 for Tokens earned by completing special missions in Random Battles.
Each Unit will have its own set of Combat Boosts that will help deal with enemies faster. For example:
- Artillery Strike
- Special Shells
- and more…
As your Unit Level increases, so will the effectiveness and power of the available Combat Boosts, as well as the battle characteristics of your vehicles.
You have the chance to boost your progress and shorten the path to rewards by purchasing special bundles in the game client. They instantly level up all your Units to Level III and contain nice additional extras, including:
- 25 Orders x10, 5 for each Unit
- 30 days of WoT Premium Account
- 20 Personal Reserves: +50% XP (1 hour)
- 20 Personal Reserves: +50% credits (1 hour)
Upon completing all five Operation Stages of the event and destroying all commanders, you can get your hands on the most valuable reward, Bounty Ventilation, as well as a special medal.
In addition, you have a chance to add the unique Tier VII Premium Soviet heavy tank, the legendary VII IS-2 with spaced armor to your Garage. This mighty brawler features a solid turret, well-sloped armor and impressive alpha damage. At the end of World War II, the IS-2 was widely used to storm well-fortified cities, including Budapest and Berlin.
If you find you’re running out of time to complete the event, you can instantly purchase the IS-2 with spaced armor for gold in the game client. You will receive a discount up to 100% for sequentially completing Operation Stages in the event progression and earning enough Progression Points. Plus, your personal discount on the IS-2 will be complemented by Crew Books and “Assault!” Orders.
- 25% off, 5 Training Booklets (U.S.S.R.), 3x missions: x5 XP for a victory in Random Battles.
- 50% off, 5 Training Booklets (U.K.), 3x missions: x5 XP for a victory in Random Battles.
- 75% off, 5 Training Booklets (U.S.A.), 3x missions: x5 XP for a victory in Random Battles.
- 100% off, 1 Universal Training Booklet.
When all your Units reach their maximum Level, you will also get an exclusive badge.
You will fight AI-driven enemies in the following four locations, specially redesigned for the event based on Random Battles maps:
- Berlin (a new map that will be introduced to Random Battles at a later date)
Initially, only the first three maps will be available in the mode. Berlin, a special new location, will be unlocked when the late evening comes (22:01 UTC) on May 8, when the war in Europe ended. From then on, the Berlin map will be permanently available. Just a few more important points regarding the Berlin map:
- Your chance of getting matched on the new map is 30%.
- To have a chance to get matched on the Berlin map, you must enter the battle using Level III Units.
All Victory Points you earn on the Berlin map are doubled.
Also, in honor of the 75th anniversary of the end of World War II in Europe, starting from May 8, 22:01, your Garage will become more celebratory.
The Road to Berlin event has an impressive and moving soundtrack. Check it out.
Road to Berlin is an innovative game mode with several new mechanics and complex gameplay settings, including under-the-hood technical solutions new to World of Tanks. Due to the complex game mechanics, issues emerged during the later stages of the mode’s development. Unfortunately, we didn’t have enough time to fix these issues before launch.
We’re aware of these issues and our development team is making every effort to resolve them. The following is a list of issues you may encounter in the mode. We apologize for any inconvenience they may cause and we appreciate your understanding.
- Players with low-spec CPUs and graphics cards may experience some visual glitches and stability issues when running the mode. You may also encounter unexpected performance issues such as black screens, black texture glitches, and game client crashes when playing Road to Berlin.
- In some cases, if you are in a Platoon, after purchasing a special bundle and leveling up your Units to Level III, you may enter the next battle still at Unit Level I. There are two ways to fix this issue:
- Click the “Not Ready” button, then the “Ready!” button.
- Quit the platoon and create it again.
- Sometimes, after reconnecting to the battle (for example, after using the ALT + F4 key combination or a computer crash), the red aiming zone of an enemy Artillery Strike may not be displayed correctly on the terrain surface.
- In rare cases, after using some Combat Boosts, the green aiming zone may remain on the terrain surface. To remove the aiming camera and return to normal view mode, press the ESC key or activate another Combat Boost.
- Various minor replay issues are possible. Some UI elements may disappear when running Road to Berlin replays. You may also encounter performance and stability issues when working with replays.
- Sometimes, when a vehicle is on an inclined surface, the visual radius of Combat Boost effect may be slightly greater than the radius of its actual application. To resolve this issue, change your position on the battlefield and move to a flat surface.
- Minor Garage UI glitches when selling the IS-2 with spaced armor and then re-purchasing it are possible. To avoid these glitches, just re-log into the game.
- Various minor technical issues with localization are also possible.