Questions were answered by Maxim Chuvalov (Global Publishing director of World of Tanks), Alexey Ilyin (product manager of World of Tanks) and Vyacheslav Makarov (product director of World of Tanks).
– Next year, each episode of the Front Line will be more self-sufficient. And even if you only play Steel Hunter, you can get all the rewards. The rewards will be new. Steel Hunter and Frontlines will have a single progression, which will last a whole year with common rewards. However, playing all episodes or forcibly playing only the Frotnlines will no longer be necessary. You can play only in Hunter or Frontlines and collect all the rewards.
– About Frontlines this year: yes, maybe we went too far and there were too many episodes. Next year there will be fewer.
– Now the crew rework is in a very active stage of development. We collect crew builds, observe and play with them. Cause of obliviousness about the crew system, decided to simplify this system, because – yes, it is complicated and inconvenient for players, and also simply irrelevant in the current meta. We will simplify this system and talk about it a bit later.
– This is our complex internal problem. We are now working on improving and changing some processes. In general, recently our staff has greatly improved on development. And to introduce new people, train them,and integrate them into the process – all this is also a large amount of work in itself. In addition, part of recent events were done with a sufficiently large participation of new employees. Someone somewhere failed.
– We will try to make the conversion of crews next year fair and not offend anyone. How it will look in numbers, we still do not know. And even if we miscalculate somewhere and the players abuse the mechanic, we will live through this possibility, that’s okay. The main thing at the exit is NOT to get imbalanced crews that have everything unlocked.
– It will still not be possible to change the nation of the crew after the rework.
– If the 2019 was more about new events, then the 2020 will be more about the introduction of new features. In 2020 we will have less events than in 2019. Apart from the double-barreled vehicles, in 2020 there will be two new branches (One of them are Italian heavy tanks)
– When working new balancing, player statistics will be taken into account. There will be a new tab with statistics for a certain period, which the player will see as relevant, and this is much better than it is now. We visualize this as follows: when going into the profile, there will be two tabs: general statistics and current statistics. After clicking on the current statistics, you will remain forever in this tab. Clicking on other types of statistics, we will save your choice as well. We want to do it as it would be more convenient, but maybe there will be some technical adjustments.
– We do not want to give details on Italian heavies yet – there will be some very interesting vehicles, but multiple turret tanks aren’t one of them.
– In addition to the two maps already announced for random battles in 2020 (Pearl River, Berlin), we have nothing more. There will also be improvements to the Steel Hunter map and other various events, such as Halloween.
– We closed team battles forever, nobody played in them. This is the main reason for the closure. And those who did play simply did so to farm credits.
– We are planning a VERY big tournament for the commemoration of the 10 year anniversary. Announcements – at the beginning of 2020. We are celebrating in August.
– Currently we want to release one more final iteration of the sandbox, in which there will be all supporting features: new simplified tech trees, statistics (if technically possible) and all other balance changes. Let’s see how it all works together, and if everything goes well, plus if a large number of players participate, we get enough feedback and the feedback will be positive, we will think about how and when to release it. But tentatively this is the very end of spring.
– We have already announced new equipment for 2020. Interaction with low tier tanks will also be improved. It will become MUCH cheaper for low tier tanks and there will also be some more improvements. Also with this patch we will be cleaning up tech trees. We will do some massive changes to low tier tanks with the intent that there will no longer be such an abundance of different tanks at the very bottom of the trees. We want the player to play easier and in return make it more interesting.
– The map “Dragon Ridge” is definitely not for the next year.
– A new communication system is on track for next year.
– The number of turbo (15-0) battles will be dealt with using various tricks with the balancer and a number of other things. Two times more in total as all measures are introduced. And that seems to be the ceiling. But sometimes it happens that one team sucks, and the other is playing well, and nothing can be done about it.
– You’ll be surprised right now, but early scouting on both sides reduces the number of turbo fights. The earlier mutual scouting occurs, the more sanely the teams disperse. The main reason for the turbo battles happening is players went into parts of the map incomprehensibly.
— During the last four months we looked at all Light Tank statistics thoroughly and we looked not only at wheeled vehicles. With the introduction of the British lights, even more attention was paid to this. There is nothing dangerous, but we have different thoughts… When we tested matchmaker with 3 arties, we actually achieved good results. Figures: previously at tier 10 approximately 70% of battles were with 3 arties, now it’s exactly 39%, and it deviates to 30%. It’s not a fast process, the system learns depending on situations, etc. But the point is that we have already tried to do the same with LTs. It works, but it’s more difficult for the match maker, as more parameters influence him strongly. We do not conduct active measures on this issue now, but next year we will definitely return to LTs from the point of view of a matchmaker and will tune the distribution of this class.
Although inside our offices we have already made such a technology a long time ago and even tested it – roaming, who remembers.
– Adding tournaments (and everything related to them) directly to the game client is planned for the 2020. But, having looked at our roadmap for the year, we soberly assessed our strengths and realized that we would not have enough manpower and we would not have enough time to add this for next year. We really hope that this is one of the main features that will be released at the beginning of 2021.
And here the story is this: it’s very expensive for us to make interfaces. Instead of these tournaments, it’s conditionally easier for us to get another Halloween event, and I won’t exaggerate. With good interfaces there is a lot of trouble. With how we are doing interfaces now, it’s better, but also has its own technical nuances. Equipment, crew – this is also all tied to the interface. We are sending all our forces there for now. There are a lot of new interfaces to be added when working on tournaments and the new crew balancing, and I think it’s clear which one we will choose from the two.
– Trophy equipment will be rewarded for the Battle Pass.
Trophy equipment is equipment that has standard characteristics, but they can be improved by bringing them to the level of bond equipment forever. And it will be possible to remove this equipment for gold (current bond equipment requires bonds to remove it).
– There will be no revision of the price for the removal of bond equipment (200 bonds).
– While changes to Tank blueprints are not planned, right now we are working on features that are very closely related to them. It will deliver more useful blueprints to a player who grinds a certain branch. Now they are distributing randomly. We want to work on this at the moment. It is necessary to refine the delivery system. In the 2020, expect a fix for this.Clan wars changes:– There will be no new tank.
– Event in January, not earlier than the 12th.
– Term – 2 weeks, tier X.
– In the strategic plan, the mechanics won’t get any massive changes.
– There will be new mechanics that affect fights. New directives exclusively for the Global Map.
– The “Workshop” will appear: in it it will be possible to craft premium tier 8 tanks It runs parallel to the fame points.
It will be possible to assemble the tanks issued earlier (IS-5, KV-4 Kreslavsky, Chieftain / T95 and T23E3). How many tanks players will be able to assemble in the Workshop is currently unknown. All participants in each team will receive an equal amount of materials
“Workshop” – For participating in the battles, both teams will receive various materials that can be assembled into components, from which tanks will be assembled. For a better understanding – look at the crafting mechanics in The Witcher 3.